Friday 7 September 2012

Norfolk Food Festival at Holkham Hall

Once again I have been a little tardy with my posts; such is the reality of having to get up and earn a living again. Whilst this week has been somewhat of a shock to the system, it is wonderful to be back and start a new term. Anyway, less about that. I hope you like my new seasonal background. The honey bees are all over my Sedum at the moment, even though it is not in full flower. 
Last night I took great pleasure going through my photographs from last week's Norfolk Food Festival held in the grounds of the stunning Holkham Hall, a unique, sandy-coloured Palladian pile that matches the amber tones of the beach that runs adjacent to the estate. 

The wonderfully suitable Rig-a-Jig-Jig-well I would say that wouldn't I!?
Having caught a lift with a couple of traditional local Norfolk musicians, one of them being my husband, I found myself in the very melting pot of Norfolk food providers. Every food type imaginable was available for tasting, discussing and purchasing. I'm not exactly sure where to start and I haven't included everyone, mainly because my camera battery died before I could photograph everything, but also because I have mentioned these food producers before and they will start thinking I have stalking tendencies. Needless to say the wonderful Brays Cottage Pork Pies were there (see photo and review in Aylsham Show post). I did snaffle half a chorizo pork pie from the band food supply, which served the purpose of staving off the hunger pangs for a short while. Once again, the inspirational Norfolk Deli were there (Aylsham Show) and this time I treated myself and Miss DB to one of their Merguez sausages in a bun and a handful of their homemade Jerky for later. Norfolk can excel in deli products!

All these savoury snacks needed washing down with some local ale and this beautifully packaged Moon Gazer Ruby Ale is refreshing, as well as having a deep fruity flavour.
Moving onto another of my old favourites; Chillis Galore are a must-try (http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/). I searched frantically for them at Aylsham Show for my fix, but sadly it was their first time away for years. This company make addictive chilli jams, jellies, sauces and relishes in a range of heat-types. I'm a fiery sort, so I was drawn to their new Naga Chilli Jam-the perfect accompaniment to some Norfolk Cheese.

Chillis Galore have a sauce to suit everyone and, being growers of the chillis as well as producers of all things saucy, their products reflect seasonal varieties of chilli types, from the mild Jalapeno to the hot and flavoursome Naga and Habenero.

Speaking of cheese, I couldn't resist a slab of Binham Blue from Mrs Temple. I just can't get enough of it!


Binham Blue from Mrs Temple; perfect with a cracker and a blob of chilli jelly/jam from the above.

Fielding Cottage's array of goat's cheese.
New discovery of the day award went to Fielding Cottage (http://www.fieldingcottage.co.uk/) based at Great Ellingham. Their range of goat's cheese is spot on for keen cheese-lovers, as well as cooks who require a range of goat's cheese textures and flavours in their dishes. My personal choice has to be the familiar Norfolk Mardler which is a mild, firm cheese as opposed to the crumblier types.
In addition to the feminine fromage and goat's milk, Fielding Cottage make use of their 'boy goats' and sell both 'Billy Burgers' as well as diced goat meat.

I have been searching for goat meat ever since discovering Madhur Jaffrey and here we are. Not in some Halal butcher's on Magdalen Street but Great Ellingham!

That evening we feasted on Billy Burgers for supper, cooked on a medieval style open fire (courtesy of the wonderful Monika and Richard). I also made my first curried goat two days later. It was a surprisingly delicate flavour. Dark, well textured and mildly lamby. I am now dreaming of a new incarnation: Billy Burger topped with crumbly mature matching goat's cheese in a Denver Mill flour bun. Heavenly.


Dereham-based Ethnic Fusion tempted me with their samosas, pakoras and bhajis

As well as their mouth-watering Indian snacks, Ethnic Fusion sell their own spice mixes and provide demonstrations and cookery classes for those interested in learning about traditional Indian Cuisine. I must admit, their spicy canapes are to die for and I wish I had had the willpower to save my pakoras to accompany the curried goat.
On a more traditionally English note, the variety of wholesome sausages displaying a certain Norfolkness was impressive!


Locally named sausages from Binham-based Arthur Howell

Norwich food producers, Kettle, show off a new range as well as their best-sellers.
At the bargain price of £1 per bag, I couldn't resist stashing away a few family-sized packets of Kettle's new range of tortilla chips.

Elveden Estate vegetable box growers and pickle producers displayed their wares so artistically. In spite of the fact that we grow all this stuff ourselves, including the colourful varieties of carrot, beets, chard and radishes, I was impressed by the contents of each box. For £15 per box, some people with no veg gardens must have bagged themselves a culinary treat.
Another fabulous stallholder was Castle Quail based in Castle Acre (http://www.castlequail.com/). I've always been a bit of a quail-fancier and now I know how easy they are to keep and how quickly they go into lay, I'm convinced this is the next project for us. They are £3 each, are ground dwellers and start laying from seven weeks. Sold! The first step is to buy a small chicken ark and we can contact these breeders. They also sell exquisite quail's eggs and I have included pictures and a recipe in my next post.
Authentic Norfolk music to serenade the visitors

This fiddle and dulcimer duo can be booked as they are; experts in playing historical local folk and dance music that originated amongst the Norfolk fishermen, countrymen and pub-goers of old. They also expand to a full country dance band too, with four other members playing Norfolk country dances with harmonica, banjo, ukulele and harmonium. (http://www.rigajigjig.co.uk/)

There was a heady atmosphere of enjoyment and appreciation of good food.
The final highlight of the day was seeing the cricket match by the estate lake. Watched by families sprawled out on deckchairs and colourful blankets in the sunshine, this was the epitomy of Englishness and the perfect end to the summer holidays. I came home inspired and with a deeper knowledge of what Norfolk has to offer our plates. Following many discussions with stallholders, it was also fantastic to know that their produce is finding its way so effortlessly into our local shops and supermarkets. Long may this continue to grow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment